Born on the 4th of July

This blog is for family and friends of the late Armand Gauthier. I am hopeful that people will share stories, photos, and other materials relating to Armand Gauthier. If you have any questions, please email me at cmahaleris@hotmail.com.

Best,

Chuck Mahaleris
Grandson

Monday, September 27, 2010

Trip to NYC in 1932




In an earlier post, we discussed how Armand Gauthier worked for Leo Kerouac- father of Jack Kerouac- in several capacities including driver, print shop worker, boxer and wrestler.




Blanche Mahaleris explained to me that sometimes her father would drive the Kerouac family to New York City as Jack's mother enjoyed visiting the fortune tellers there. She learned this during conversations with Armand. Whatever the reason for this visit, he was very busy according to his comments.




Here is a postcard Armand sent his girlfriend Aurea Fortier (later Gauthier) during one trip to NYC. He does not mention that this trip is with the Kerouac family in the post card but I am assuming that is the reason. Notice no zip code was necessary back in 1932.




Another interesting point is that this is written in English and not French.




Post Mark


Bronx, NY


1932






Addressed to:


Miss Aurea Fortier


768 Lakeview Ave,


Lowell, Mass.






Information about Grant's Tomb printed on Post card:


GRANT'S TOMB, New York City. Grant's Tomb, overlooking the Hudson River, commands a magnificent prospect of Riverside Drive and 123rd Street. In memory of his services during the Civil War this magnificent mausoleum was erected in 1897 by the City of New York. The tomb is a square structure, 90 feet on each side and 72 feet in height, built of white granite with marble interior.






Note from Armand to Aurea:


Hello Aurea:




I hope you're feeling fine. for myself everything is O.K.




I reach the big town without any trouble. I'm ready to visit the nice places.




I don't think I'll have time to sleep much while I'm here.




Anxious to see you soon.




Armand

No comments:

Post a Comment